Torres del Paine National Park is a 935 sq mile park in the Magallanes Region of southern Chile that encompasses mountains, glaciers, lakes, and rivers. At the center piece of the park lies the Cordillera del Paine, home to the famous Cuernos and Torres del Paine. The park is located some 70 miles (112 km) north of the town of Puerto Natales and is bordered by Bernardo O’Higgins National Park to its west and Los Glaciares National Park (Argentina) to its east.
It is believed that Torres del Paine was first visited by Lady Florence Dixie, who in her book published in 1880, gives one of the first descriptions of the area and refers to the three towers of Los Torres as ‘Cleopatra’s Needles.’ Established in 1959 as Parque Nacional de Turismo Lago Grey and renamed in 1970 as Torres del Paine. In 1977, Guido Monzino donated some 30,000 acres (12,000 hectares) to the Chilean Government, and its definitive limits were established. In 1978 the park was designated a World Biosphere Reserve by UNESCO.
Visited: December 2011